Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Streets of McLeod


Two words:” Jaldi” and “Chalo”.
These are the two Hindi words that I hear most frequently as I walk through the streets of McLeod Ganj. I didn’t know their meanings the first several times I heard them, but I have since looked them up. These two most common words mean “Hurry” and “Move”. 
And how fitting that these would be the two words to describe the streets of McLeod. The streets are about wide enough for one and a half cars or perhaps one car and one motorcycle, two motorcycles and one cow, or two cows and three people. And all of these, with exception of the cows, are trying to get somewhere. Thus, anytime someone gets in the way or slow things down, the words “jaldi” and “chalo” can be heard all around. Although many times a honk can be substituted for either of these.


For an inexperienced white-guy, such as myself, it can be difficult and even scary to navigate through the streets whilst also retaining any kind of concern for your own well-being. If you stand smack-dab in the middle of the street, most cars will be kind enough not to run you over. The real danger comes in the narrow misses… or narrow hits. Side-view mirrors are especially hazardous, as well as toes being run over. Fortunately I have not personally experienced either, but I have heard of and seen both…

(Interruption: I confess, I didn’t start this blog post with much direction in mind. Mostly I just thought it was funny that “hurry” and “move” are the words I hear the most in the streets here. But I also have the strange need to make everything positive and meaningful. So if you’re satisfied, and agree that my observation is at least somewhat funny, you can stop reading now.
Otherwise, you can keep reading and I’ll try to follow through into something more meaningful. And to prove it’s meaningful, I’ll include the phrase “that’s life.”)

… But that’s life on the road. If you’re going to be out there you need to move and you need to hurry. Not just in McLeod Ganj, but probably in most of India and even most of the world. When you’re sitting still, you don’t much care for what others are doing, but as soon as you’re trying to get somewhere, everyone is in your way or slowing you down. I’ve noticed it walking through McLeod just as much as I’ve noticed it driving through Utah. It’s not just an Indian thing, something to be made into a stereotype. Everyone could learn to be a little more patient. It’s universal. Sometimes it just takes learning a few Hindi words and writing a long, wandering blog post to make the connection.

1 comment:

  1. I might add that since I wrote this I've learned that "chalo" is used more as "Let's go" than "move".

    Just a clarification.

    ReplyDelete