Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Hostels


Disclaimer: If you read this blog somewhat regularly you may or may not notice my recent attempts to add some style to my writing. This is not an attempt to be a writing snob, but an attempt to keep things interesting for you readers. Today’s attempt is to keep things short and simple, since most of my posts are so long. If it works, awesome. If it’s just obnoxious, let me know and I will stop.

Sunday, amazing. Julia and I saw Tong-Len’s hostels: homes for children while going to school.  Again, unsure of what to expect, thought Jamyang would show us around a bit. Maybe I would film him.
Not so.
Girls’ hostel was first. We were immediately surrounded. 20 girls, ages 7 – 17. We sat on a couch. They sat on the floor around us.
“Uhh, hi. Nice to meet you all.”
They responded one by one, standing for their turn, “my name is _______. I read in __ grade. I am ___ years old.” We followed their example and introduced ourselves.
Then all stood, “Sir. Madam. Come. Please.” They took our hands to show us around. Their dining room, a big table. Their bedroom, a room full of bunk beds. Their bags, their Russian polar bear dog. Their computer/dancing room. Here we stayed a while. The girls danced… Then we danced.  Tees Mar Khan and Barbie Girl. The girls danced great, including Julia. I moved around and bumped into things.
Boys’ hostel next. We received the same welcoming. But the boys didn’t dance. They did tricks. Hand tricks, sounds with mouths and armpits, and acrobatics. I can’t say we didn’t encourage it. In many cases we started it. “Sir. Madam. Show. Try. Again.”
Incredibly fun. exceptionally inspiring. These kids, the kindest, smartest, most polite, loving, and fun children I’ve met in my life, and coming from the lowest, poorest, slum communities. Futures for 40 children and counting. Just one of Jamyang’s accomplishments. 

3 comments:

  1. I like your different writing styles! I am so happy for these children. What a wonderful person Jamyang must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam! You made a comment! That's wonderful, and I'm glad you like the different writing styles. It's true, Jamyang is a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lands, Matt, I had no idea you had this in you! This is a fantastic post. I am really glad to know what you think of all this, and I think Jamyang and these students are really extraordinary

    ReplyDelete