Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Vocab


            For one of my cultural proof credits I was allowed to study a language. (that’s why several of these have dealt with Hindi). Although Hindi was the mostly what I focused on, I did learn a little Tibetan as well. As one of my requirements I was supposed to keep a vocab dictionary to keep track of the words I was learning. For this blog post I am simply going to supply some of the vocabulary I learned from each of the languages 1) in case anyone is interested in learning a little themselves, and 2) as a way for myself to review.


Hindi words
(with English words or phrases, and then the translation)

Hello -                         Namaste/Namaskar
How are you? -             Ap kese hei?
What is your name? – Apka naam kya hei?
My name is ___ -             Mera naam ____ hei
Thank you –                         Shukriya (or) Danyewad
I -                                     Mein
You -                                     Ap/tum/tu
We -                                     Hum
He/She (here) -             Yeh
He/She (there) -             Voh           
Husband/Wife –             Pati/Patni
Rice –                                     Chawal
Dog –                                     Kuta
Son/Daughter -             Beta/Beti
Auntie -                         Mausi
What -                         Kya
Where -                         Kaha
When -                         Kab
Who -                                     Kon
Why -                                     Kyo
How -                                     Kese
To make -                         Banana
To meet -                         Milna
To do -                         Karna
To work -                         Kam karna
To say -                         Kahna
To sit -                         Betna
To know -                         Janna
To think -                         Sochna
To give -                         Dena
Hot -                                     Garam
Spicy -                         masaledar
Angry -                         Naraz
About/Approx. -            Lagbag
Pesa -                                     Money
Log -                                     People
Sab log -                         Everyone
Koi -                                     Somebody
Koi nahi -                         Nobody
Other -                         Dusra
Maybe -                         Shayad
What happened? -             Kya hoga?/Kya hua?
Bara/Chota -                         Big/Little
Tora tora -                         Little bit

I learned a lot more than that, but this is just an example of some of the things on my list. Next is:

Tibetan

Hello -                         Tashi delek
I -                                     Nga
You -                                     Kay-rang
We -                                     Nga-tso
Mother/Father -             Ama-la/Pa-la
Boy/Girl -                         Pu/Pumo
Dog -                                     Khi
Puppy -                         Khi-chug
Elephant -                         Langchin
Monkey -                         Pew
Bird -                                     Cheew
Crow -                         Poro
Rice -                                     De
Now -                                     Tanda
Good morning -             Nga-to delek
Today -                         Te-ring
Tomorrow -                         Sanyi
Yesterday -                         Ke-sa
Chili -                                     Siping
Outside -                         Chila
Married -                         Changza
Student -                         Lobtug
Money -                         Ngu
Milk -                                     Oma
Cow -                                     Ba-chug
Horse -                         Ta
Animal -                         Semchen
What -                         Karay
Where -                         Kabah
Who -                                     Su
When -                         Kadu
Why -                                     Karay chaynay
How -                                     Kantesi


Again, there are quite a few more, but this is all I’ll write for now. I’m actually surprised at how many words I was able to learn, but I’m also not surprised at how quickly I have forgotten most of them. Sadly I don’t have a lot of opportunity to practice now that I’m back in the states, but I can’t say that I’ve really looked for opportunities either. Someday I’d love to do a much deeper study of either or both of these languages, and I have a good base to start from now, but we’ll see if that day ever comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment