Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sketches

Before coming to India, Julia got me a great little moleskine notebook that fits right in my pocket. I promised myself with this new handy-dandy book that I would do a lot more drawing, something I've always loved to do, but haven't done enough.

So since we've been in India I've taken several opportunities to sketch the people and places around me (and some dinosaurs). The following are those sketches. I'll try to provide brief descriptions of each. Enjoy!

Our first day in India. This was a man sitting outside the airport.



Inside the lotus temple.

Inside the Lotus Temple.

The Lotus Temple.

As we were riding across a bridge in a rickshaw,
we looked out over the edge and saw an elephant!

Waiting for His Holiness the Dalai Lama to arrive.

A cow.

Lamps and prayer flags at a coffee shop.

A religious discussion between a Tibetan monk and a know-it-all Westerner
at the One Two Cafe.

A Tibetan music

Trees and prayer flags along the Kora trail
that loops around the Dalai Lama's residence


Prostrations at the temple.

The dog lady. Usually she takes care of the dogs,
but this day she was chasing them with her cane
and making them all very angry.

A triceratops paratrooper

People at the temple. All Indian tourists except
top right which is a Tibetan monk.

A yak that looks more like a sheepdog with horns.

Doodle

View of McLeod Ganj from Nick's Italian Resaurant.

Cow, chicken, foot, person.

A Tibetan woman and Indian police officer at the
Judicial Court.

This guy and the next were friends sitting together  in the court room.
They saw me drawing the police officer and wanted me to draw them
too. I did, and after I'd finished the police came, handcuffed them and
took them away. A lawyer next to me leaned over and said,
"Those men are convicted criminals.



The court room.

A layout of our house (left) and our bathrooms (right).

People at The His Holiness Dalai Lama's teachings.

Lion man again, at an internet cafe.

A fan.

Stegosaurus! 
doodles, a clock, and a man preparing food at a restaurant.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my lands, Matt, I am so glad you posted these! They are fantastic, just fantastic. You have brilliantly captured this city! My favorites are the know it all Westerner and monk, the dog lady (she really looks like that! and that story about her is hilarious! only she could get away with that without getting rabies) and those convicted criminals who wanted you to sketch them. These are all just brilliant though--the fan! Ah, India

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these!
    I can't wait go shoe Jakey..he will love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant, I can't wait to show Jakey....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, these are fantastic! So glad you uploaded them! It really shows a different side of McLeod from your perspective, but at the same time I love seeing what scenes are familiar, and what people I recognize. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete